How To Jailbreak iPod Touch
Update #3 – I have updated the Jailbreak page with a step by step Jailbreak guide(with a video) on exactly how to jailbreak your iPhone and iPod Touch with the 2.2 firmware.
Update #2 – The iPhone Dev Team has now officially released the jailbreak for the 2.2 iPhone and iPod Touch Firmware. They have released updates to both The Pwnage Tool AND QuickPwn(so it’s available for both windows and macs. Check which one you want below(Pwnage Tool is for Macs. . .QuickPwn is for both Windows and Macs).
Jailbreak iPhone And iPod Touch
Update #1 – The Rip Dev team has released an iPhone application called ‘Pusher’ that will jailbreak the iPhone 2.2 firmware(both 2G and 3G) with a Mac(Windows version is coming soon).
So the 2.2 iPhone firmware has been released today. You might be wondering if you can jailbreak the 2.2 firmware right now. Just like the iPhone Dev Team said in their post a couple of days ago. They haven’t released a jailbreak to the 2.2 firmware yet, so if you still want your unlocked 2G iPhone, and your jailbroken iPhone applications then do NOT upgrade.
What you can do is subscribe to the RSS feed or bookmark this post. . .the second the next version of The Pwnage Tool and Quickpwn is released(Just like I did for the 1.1.4, 2.0, and 2.1 iPhone Firmware) then you will find that this post will be updated, and a new post will explain exactly how to do it.
Below you can find some facts from the iPhone Dev Team. . .
* The 2.2 firmware for 3G contains a baseband update for the 3G iPhone
* The 2.2 firmware for 2G (1st gen iPhones) doesnâ€™t contain a baseband update and the baseband is still at 04.05.04
* We believe that our Pwnage technique (and therefore the Jailbreak) isnâ€™t affected, but PwnageTool and QuickPwn do not support this release as yet, so DO NOT install 2.2 using iTunes as you will lose your jailbreak
* If you apply this update and you previously relied on PwnageTool or QuickPwn to activate your phone, it may become temporarily deactivated and unusable (until we release the new version of PwnageTool or QuickPwn).
* PwnageTool and QuickPwn updates will be released as soon as possible that will allow a safe update path to 2.2 the release of these updates is inevitable but not imminent, we are creating the modifications right now and we need to put the new software through the usual testing process.
* If you apply this update and you have third-party (non AppStore) applications that you rely on they will stop working.
* 2G (1st gen) iPhone users who cannot wait for the new PwnageTool or QuickPwn can safely â€œUpdateâ€ to 2.2 using iTunes, this will preserve the existing activation. However â€œrestoringâ€ to 2.2 using iTunes will return the iPhone to the unactivated state. If you are in any doubt just wait. NB: This works for 2G ONLY.
* The use of SIM-Proxies (small circuit boards/chips that sit underneath the SIM card) to provide GSM/UMTS service on your locked iPhone 3G is a method that we have always advised against. Early reports suggest that the 2.2 update disables the functionality of these devices. The techniques used were always unreliable and we are surprised that they have lasted this long.
* We are not working on the 2nd generation iPod touch at the moment, so we cannot comment on what the the 2.2 software update may do to this specific model